The building – a three-storey Edwardian-style building on the corner of Stamford Road – was the haunt of generations of book lovers in Singapore.
Once the oldest bookstore building here, the MPH Building opened in 1908. But its roots extend further back. British missionary Captain William Shellabear established a printing press in 1890 for Methodist Mission in Singapore.
Originally named the Amelia Bishop Press, it began to print secular as well as religious material. In 1893, it moved to Raffles Place and changed its name to the American Mission Press.